The Pillars of Lions Club Service
We strongly embrace the Lions Club International Five Pillars of Service: Vision, Hunger, Diabetes, Cancer, Environment.
On top of these five pillars, The Peninsula Special Interest Lions Club adds an additional Three Pillars of Service: Cardiovascular/Heart Disease, Health Clinics, and Wellness Clinics.
We partner with many organizations to make sure that these pillars of service are a reality. Below is just the mere tip of the iceberg as to what we do each and every year.
Free Clinics and Health Fairs**
We participate in many health events in the region held at (but not limited to) these types of organizations. We screen for Diabetes (over 12,000 screened locally each year), do blood pressure checks, cancer patches for early detection of lung cancer, talk about nutricion, make health videos for these organization, and more.
- Elementary, middle, and high schools
- Colleges and universities
- Senior and community centers
- Businesses and nonprofits
- Mills Peninsula Hospital Project in the Pre-Natal department
- We are grateful to Zenni Eyewear for its loyal support of our programming since 2013. To date, Zenni has donated over 830,000 pairs of glasses to Lions Club.
- We have distributed 580,000 pairs of eyeglasses internationally to those in need in more than 21 countries and donated an additional 250,000 pairs domestically to underserved communities in 47 states.
- Since Covid, Zenni has also donated 5,000 surgical masks to protect our children.
- Lions in our club have regular free eye scanning clinics and prescriptions referrals for our free eyeglasses.
We are grateful to Zenni Eyewear for its loyal support of our programming since 2013. To date, Zenni has donated over 830,000 pairs of glasses to Lions Club. We have distributed 580,000 pairs of eyeglasses internationally to those in need in more than 21 countries and donated an additional 250,000 pairs domestically to underserved communities in 47…
With our monthly food collection program, we organize food collection of fruit and produce for the shelters and food banks of over three million pounds each year. We have 18 farmers that work with us to deliver their produce where they are needed.
It has indeed been an honor to serve the Multiple District of Governors, the NoAMI/Gat team, the Council Chair and the Lions Clubs of California on the Hunger Specialty Committee. Right from the start it was not difficult to raise the awareness of the need for food during the Pandemic. The job was to work…
The Peninsula Special Interest Lions Club, in a joint venture with the South San Francisco Golden Gate Lions Club, is excited to announce they have recently applied for a Lions Club International Foundation Grant for $75,000 to provide industrial refrigerators for the Food Pantry Expansion at Samaritan House. Our Lions Clubs will provide an additional…
We have planted over 1,000 trees during the past decade, and we continue to plant more.
Our Global Initiative for Health and Wellness**
The Global Initiative for Health and Wellness are our global clinics that operate in other Lions Clubs all over the world. We supply them with everything they need to run a clinic free of charge. Each year we screen over 2 million people worldwide for Diabetes, Heart Disease, Measles, Vision, Flu and more. Learn more about our Global Initiative.
- Luncheons for veterans the 2nd & 4th Tuesday of every month
- Stand Downs every other year for 130 to 200 Veterans for three to four days
- Collection of clothing, furniture and other items for veterans
- Veterans court cases arranged in vet court
Learn more about our Veterans’ Outreach.
- Restaurant Walks
- Lobster Dinners
- Grant Applications
- Serve on the Lions in site Program as Trustee
- Serve on the medical emergency disaster response team for the county of San Mateo and City of Palo Alto
- Serve on the District Committee for Health Fairs
*These types of activities fulfill our commitment to the Lion’s Club International Pillars of Service to Vision, Hunger, Diabetes, Cancer, Environment.
**These types of activities fulfill our commitment to the Lions Club International Pillars of Service to Vision, Hunger, Diabetes, Cancer, Environment; and/or The Peninsula Special Interest Lions Club Three Pillars of Service: Cardiovascular/Heart Disease, Health Clinics, and Wellness Clinics.
Peninsula Special Interest Lions Club, Inc. is a (a 501-C-4). Peninsula Special Interest Lions Club Charities, Inc. is a non-profit under section 501(C)(3) of the IRS. IRS ID 46 – 1936672